Archive for 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Byron Shewman, Executive Director
To download complete release as PDF, click here.
Starlings open National Tournament with Haiti in mind
Over 120 teams headed to San Diego with mission of fun, fundraising
SAN DIEGO – Although media coverage has long since faded, large portions of Haiti remain in rubble after the catastrophic January 2010 earthquake.
One group of girls is hoping to change that by embracing the sport they love.
Starlings Volleyball Club USA will host its 14th annual Starlings National Championship June 17-19 in San Diego. The tournament is an annual celebration of the nonprofit organization’s holistic approach of developing the body, mind and spirit of the young athlete.
Over 120 teams from across the country in four age divisions will play during three days of competition. But before a single volleyball is served, the tournament kicks off June 16 with its Opening Ceremony, a fun and festive event that this year focuses on helping children in Haiti.
This year’s special guest will once again be Edeline Felizor, a survivor of the 2010 Haiti earthquake who is rehabilitating in San Diego. Felizor was rescued from the rubble of her three-story teachers’ college. She had a broken neck and five fractured vertebrae, and was unable to receive medical care for her injuries for days. It was in a local clinic where she met Starlings Executive Director Byron Shewman, who arranged for her treatment both in Haiti, and later, in San Diego.
A teacher and nurse by training, Felizor dreams of returning to Haiti to build and oversee a school. The Starlings have pledged support both financially and creatively. Despite their own economic challenges, players have raised thousands of dollars to help children in Haiti and to support Project Edeline. The subject is also the theme of the 2011 Starlings Literary/Art Contest. For more on the project, visit www.starlings.org/2011-literary-art-contest/.
Schedule of events:
- Thursday, June 16 – Opening Ceremony at Sweetwater High School, 7 p.m.
Celebration includes presentation of annual Literary/Art Contest winners. Special appearance by Edeline Felizor, survivor of 2010 Haiti earthquake and inspiration behind Project Edeline.
- Friday-Saturday, June 17-18 – Starlings National Tournament, Day I & II
Sites include Alliant University and San Diego City College’s Harry West Gym. Matches begin on both days at 9 a.m. Play is scheduled to end on Friday at 9 p.m. and Saturday at 9 p.m.
Sunday, June 19 – Starlings National Tournament, Final Day
Tournament concludes with play at Alliant University and San Diego City College’s Harry West Gym. 18s final is expected to begin at 6 p.m. at Alliant. Opportunity for interviews following match.
Beginning with a single inner-city San Diego team in 1996, today Starlings is the largest junior volleyball club in the nation ─ serving some 3,000 girls in 50-plus clubs across America. The guiding concept has been to provide an opportunity for girls (ages 10-18) to participate regardless of their socioeconomic background. Club dues, if any, are a fraction of most junior club costs and no girl is turned away because of inability to pay.
Visit http://www.starlings.org for more information. The tournament hashtag is #Starlings11.
To download complete release as PDF, click here.
Here are the playing site maps for the 2011 Starlings National Tournament.
- Alliant University: School Map PDF | Google Maps: 10455 Pomerado Road, San Diego, California 92131
- San Diego City College (Harry West Gym): School Map PDF | Driving Directions PDF | Google Maps: 1313 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92101
- San Diego High School (Sunday: June 19 only): Across the street from Harry West Gym. See note below for more information..
- Sweetwater High School (Sat., Sun.: June 18, 19 only): School Map PDF | Google Maps: 2900 Highland Ave, National City, CA 91950-7495
- Sweetwater H.S. on Thursday night, June 16, at 7:00 pm.
- Coaches’ meeting at Sweetwater H.S. at 8:00 pm on Thursday (in bleachers following ceremony). Mandatory for at least one representative for each club to attend coaches’ meeting. Critical information and last-minute changes are given there.
- Referees meeting there at 7:30 pm on Thursday (separate room TBA).
- There is expected to be play at San Diego High School on Sunday morning. That gym is directly across the street from SD City Harry West gym. Best to walk from Harry West.
- T-shirt pickups, Literary-Art entries pickup, and Sister City meet-ups take place at the Opening Ceremony.
- This info and other info will be posted on our website under Nationals.
- At Alliant, there is a $5 parking fee per day. Sorry but just their policy.
- There will be snack bars at all venues.
If you would like to have a Sister City team for nationals, please let us know. We need your team name, age division, and email for person in charge. Email information to Mani Santos at email@example.com.
We will send out interested teams when we get a some responses. At that point, you need to establish your Sister Team via the email addresses sent to me.
If you want to begin making some relationships on your own, go ahead but let me know what they are.
We encourage all teams to participate but it only works if there is a real commitment by your girls. If there is not, please don’t do it.
—a gift of $5 or less (or hand-made item) that is a memo of your city.
—some preliminary email contact (minimal).
—agreement to cheer for your Sister Team and spend some friendly time with them in San Diego.
Are you ready for some volleyball?
The 2011 Starlings National Tournament is scheduled for June 17-19 in San Diego, Calif.
Important details and other tournament-related information will be available on the 2011 Nationals page.
To view, click on the tab in the menu bar above or visit starlings.org/2011-nationals.